Friday, June 20, 2008

The NEW "Real World"

All my life, I have grown up under the impression that I would one day be slapped quite forcefully across the face by “the real world.” And no, I’m not talking about that absolutely ridiculous; yet strangely fascinating MTV show…I’m talking about the alleged cold, hard reality that is life.

I say alleged because I truly believe that our lives or our “world” is only as real as we make it. Sure- there are things like taxes, bills and jobs that often seem to add a kick of reality to our day…but you have to learn to manage your time in a way that permits you maximize your personal comfort and happiness.

Do you realize that we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping?! … just let that settle in a bit- 1/3 of your life! Another 1/3 generally goes right out the window on “company time,” spent at your job. So, if you do the math- that sure doesn’t leave a whole hell of a lot of time for fun or enjoying the simple pleasures in life! Now- if by some fortune, you have no need for sleep and a money tree that permits you to never work, then these proportions might not worry you much. But this is obviously not the typical case, and most of us simply have to work and sleep; they are both essential. This is why you MUST do what you love. If you can find a job where you are doing what you love to do- then you never have to work a day in your life!

While this advice is certainly not original, I am amazed at how few people implement it. I think what happens in our society; unfortunately, is that in a rush to start paying off college loans, we tend to settle in a position that might not be our first choice. After rooting down with benefits and life-sentencing retirement plans, we feel that it is simply too late to change. I think many of us can relate to these circumstances and one day I would like to start an organization that aims to help those who are in this very dilemma- who’s with me?
blog comments powered by Disqus

What should my blog focus on?

Drop me a line!

Q-Chat

Create a Meebo Chat Room